Monday, July 21, 2008

The Hormones

So I thought I might do a little something on what meds I take as a transexual and what effects they have had on my body not only physically but mentally as well. It’s pretty insane at least in my opinion that the natural hormones that the human body produces can affect so much especially how we think and after being on Estrogen for over nine months now I can safely say that I can see a difference in both aspects. Before I go into what hormones can and cannot do I’d like to explain what I am taking just so people not familiar can get an idea what kind of medcines we’re getting into here.

I am currently taking two meds, the first being a testosterone inhibitor called Spironolactone. This medicine comes in a pill form in either 50mg or 100mg dose per pill. My doctor started me off taking 50mg/day and gradually moved me up to 300mg/day. In my opinion, this is the med that makes the biggest difference in the estrogen I am taking in effecting my body.

The other medicine I am taking is an Estrogen based cream called Estradiol. My doctor started me off at 1 gram per day and moved me up to 3 grams which is what I take now. I have them compounded out of state in a pharmacy called Murray Avenue Apothecary, which offers it at a very reasonable price for those even without insurance.

What do the meds do?

Well for starters, they aren’t magic. You won’t turn into a woman overnight nor do they have such a profound effect that they will really change the way you look. Only surgery is capable of doing that. I mean, you’ll change for sure, and will look slightly different but not to the point where you’ll be unrecognizable. The main things Estrogen does is the following:

-Helps with breast development
-They have a psychological effect, you’ll be more emotional
-Changes your skin in making it softer and thinner
-Reduction in body hair
-Changes the way you smell overall
-Can clear up some or all acne
-They cannot reduce facial hair
-They cannot change the tone of your voice

A note about the breast development. More than likely you’ll be smaller than your relatives, I’ve generally accepted the rule that as a Male-to-Female you’ll be one cup smaller than the size of your mother’s breasts, which is pretty accurate if I should say so myself!

Facial hair can only be removed by several treatment methods, which I’ll go over in a future post.

Hormones and the testosterone blockers are more or less affordable if you hold a steady job. I’d say I don’t pay more than about $80 USD a month to finance that part of my transition. When I first started taking hormones it took me at least five months before I could feel any major changes, but the good thing was that every change was a good one. Starting these was probably the best thing I’ve ever done for myself, emotionally I feel much less, well, depressed. I feel that it’s easier to fit into a female persona now than when I wasn’t on the hormones. Physically, my skin has cleared up quite a bit, which is something I’m happy about being a person with fair and sensitive skin as it was. I’ve noticed body hair reduction, heck, I hardly have to shave anymore which is a relief needless to say! My breasts leave something less than to be desired but I can live with it, nothing a little “magic” can fix up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How old were you when you started your transition (I read your posts and you were pretty vague)?

I am 16 years old right now, and I've been secretly taking Spironolactone (200mg) and estrogen (premarin-.625 mg) on an on-off basis since I was 15.

The problem is that my parents refuse to allow me to transition (I came out when I was 13), and I feel like I am going crazy. They refuse to allow me to talk to a therapist, lest I tell him/her something. Can I talk to you? I need to talk to someone who can understand.

This has to be one of the most stupid things I've ever done, this really is a shot in the dark.

kılıç günü 9. bölüm izle said...

thank you